- Whenever I hear anyone arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally.
- In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free — honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
- No man is good enough to govern another man, without that other’s consent. I say this is the leading principle–the sheet anchor of American republicanism.
- You think slavery is right and should be extended; while we think slavery is wrong and ought to be restricted. That I suppose is the rub. It certainly is the only substantial difference between us.
- This is a world of compensations; and he who would be no slave, must consent to have no slave. Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it.
- As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy.
- I leave you, hoping that the lamp of liberty will burn in your bosoms until there shall no longer be a doubt that all men are created free and equal.
- The one victory we can ever call complete will be that one which proclaims that there is not one slave or one drunkard on the face of God’s green earth.
- All I ask for the negro is that if you do not like him, let him alone. If God gave him but little, that little let him enjoy.
- Let us remember that all American citizens are brothers of a common country, and should dwell together in the bonds of fraternal feeling.
Tags : Live Online Radio