- Everybody else is working to change, persuade, tempt and control them. The best readers come to fiction to be free of all that noise.
- He had learned the worst lesson that life can teach – that it makes no sense.
- You put too much stock in human intelligence, it doesn’t annihilate human nature.
- Stop worrying about growing old. And think about growing up.
- Because that is when you love somebody – when you see them being game in the face of the worst. Not courageous. Not heroic. Just game.
- The pleasure isn’t in owning the person. The pleasure is this. Having another contender in the room with you.
- Literature takes a habit of mind that has disappeared. It requires silence, some form of isolation, and sustained concentration in the presence of an enigmatic thing.
- You tasted it. Isn’t that enough? Of what do you ever get more than a taste? That’s all we’re given in life, that’s all we’re given of life. A taste. There is no more.
- Actually we did not have the feelings we said we had until we spoke them–at least I didn’t; to phrase them was to invent them and own them.
- Maybe the best thing would be to forget being right or wrong about people and just go along for the ride. But if you can do that — well, lucky you.
Tags : Live Online Radio