- Far from failing in its intended task, our educational system is in fact succeeding magnificently, because its aim is to keep the American people thoughtless enough to go on supporting the system.
- We should…be able to see that our interest would be best served not by asking the state to promulgate our values but by forbidding the state to promulgate any values at all. If the state can espouse some value that we love, it can, with equal justice, espouse others we do not love.
- There is no other way to judge the work of a mind except through its words.
- Where once a tyrant had to wish that his subjects had but one common neck that he might strangle them all at once, all he has to do now is to ‘educate the people’ so that they will have but one common mind to delude.
- People who cannot put strings of sentences together in good order cannot think. An educational system that does not teach the technology of writing is preventing thought.
- You can shoot the tiger, or stay out of his way, but you cannot pronounce him a vegetarian.
- If you cannot be the master of your language, you must be its slave. If you cannot examine your thoughts, you have no choice but to think them, however silly they may be.
- Thought control, like birth control, is best undertaken as long as possible before the fact.
- Education, I am convinced, must be nothing more than this: The journey toward the limits of Reason, if any there be.
- An education that does not teach clear, coherent writing cannot provide our world with thoughtful adults; it gives us instead, at the best, clever children of all ages.
Tags : Live Online Radio