Former Prime Minister of India
Born: November 19, 1917
Assassinated: October 31, 1984
Indira Gandhi (1917–1984) was a prominent Indian politician and the first female Prime Minister of India. Born into the Nehru-Gandhi political dynasty, she was the daughter of Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first Prime Minister. Indira Gandhi served as Prime Minister from 1966 to 1977 and again from 1980 until her assassination in 1984.
Gandhi played a crucial role in shaping India’s political landscape and was known for her strong leadership during challenging times. Her first term witnessed the Green Revolution, which transformed agricultural practices and significantly increased food production. However, her declaration of a state of emergency in 1975, citing internal disturbances, was met with criticism for curbing civil liberties.
After losing the 1977 elections, Gandhi returned to power in 1980. Her second term was marked by a focus on social justice, economic reforms, and efforts to strengthen India’s position on the global stage. Tragically, she was assassinated by her own bodyguards in 1984 in the aftermath of Operation Blue Star, a military action she ordered to remove Sikh militants from the Golden Temple in Amritsar.
Indira Gandhi’s legacy is complex, reflecting both her achievements and controversies. She remains a significant figure in Indian political history, remembered for her contributions to the nation’s development and the challenges she faced during her leadership.
Indira Gandhis’s 5 most popular quotes
- If I die a violent death, as some fear and a few are plotting, I know that the violence will be in the thought and the action of the assassins, not in my dying.
- I have lived a long life, and I am proud that I spend the whole of my life in the service of my people. I am only proud of this and nothing else. I shall continue to serve until my last breath, and when I die, I can say, that every drop of my blood will invigorate India and strengthen it.
- Have a bias toward action – let’s see something happen now. You can break that big plan into small steps and take the first step right away.
- There are two kinds of people, those who do the work and those who take the credit. Try to be in the first group; there is less competition there.
- Even if I died in the service of the nation, I would be proud of it. Every drop of my blood… will contribute to the growth of this nation and to make it strong and dynamic.
👉Listen to the best music from all over the world at www.liveonlineradio.net #Former_Prime_Minister_India #Indira_Gandhi #Birthday #FM #Online_radio #radio #live_online_radio #live #world_radio